Transition Kensal to Kilburn Initiating Group meeting 8th February 2010
Present : Michael Stuart; Petica Watson; George Latham; David Young; Careen Hertzog; Jane Edwards Apologies : Elaine Henderson
1 Constitution and Banking
The constitution was agreed and signed off.
Banking forms were signed to be submitted asap. Future expenses will need to be submitted to David Young, the treasurer. All cheques will need two signatories. Petica and David have been named on the new account and have given their bank details as both already hold bank accounts with the Co-op.
Jane Edwards was named Chair, David Young Treasurer and George Latham Secretary.
The juicing has produced an income of £234.00 with a profit of £111
It was discussed how we should split the profits between the fruit picking project and the main TTKtoK finances and what expenses should be taken out of the juice money before profits are split.
It was agreed that 50% of the profits would be reimbursed to Michael Stuart’s Apple Picking Project (AKA ‘Windfall’).
This led to a discussion about how we plan to allocate funds raised from future projects, specifically Martin Hughes’s Seed Project. It was agreed that any profits raised by selling seedlings will be ploughed back into the seedling project rather than into the general TTKtoK pot.
We will have a presence at the next Queen’s Park Farmers market on February 14th which will be an opportunity to publicise the film at the Lexi, Food Inc. on the 15th (Petica and Emily Hamilton to lead)
George suggested that Michael could loan his pruning equipment and photos of the training to display and that we could highlight the seedling project, maybe by making newspaper pots on the day. Careen is happy to loan some container veg to display.
Draught Busting - to be held at Siobhan Cross’s on the 6th March (with Farmer’s Market stall to promote on 28th Feb).
The draught busting kit has been bought at cost, approx £600.00, and it was suggested that we might consider selling it with a small profit mark-up. There were mixed views, but it was agreed that the price charged for materials needs to help keep the project sustainable.
It was pointed out that this event needs to be clearly highlighted at the next BRATS meeting on the 1st March. (Jane attending)
This lead to a brief discussion about how we could reach a wider demographic and it was thought that the seedling project could be a good way to achieve that, with the suggestion that seedlings could be handed out at Kilburn Square as well as the Farmer’s Market and local schools.
4 Graphic design
Careen updated the group about the progress of the logo design project in conjunction with QPCS students. They aim to complete this 6th March.
A brainstorming session came up with: Urban; Retro (make do & mend); using a banner format.
It was agreed that the Transition Network’s use of the London Underground map is the kind of image we would like to develop for TTKtoK. It’s hoped that we can use the ideas and images generated by this school project and work-up the final artwork with an experienced graphic designer, Steph Wales.
George said we need to think about how we will develop the new artwork to use in a generic leaflet. Michael responded that we need to give ourselves time to get the branding right so we should continue to use an interim solution until we are happy with a permanent image.
A new interim leaflet will need to be created in time for Sunday 14th’s Farmer’s Market which highlights : Food Inc ; Draft-Busting; Seedlings. (Petica to action)
5 Website and communication
David mentioned that the National Trust website highlights ’10 Easy Things to Grow.’ He thought we should have something similar on our website.
Careen felt it was very important for the IT Group to find a solution to how we make use of all the emails we have collected who haven’t gone on to sign up to the website. (There is a hit rate of less than 1 in 3). We need to look at ning and see what the possibilities are. Petica described how she found ning’s limitations and irritations frustrating, but concluded that it could be the best you get without paying for it.
Petica and Michael hope to attend the IT Group meeting at Jane’s on Wednesday 10th.
It was agreed that the budget will be sent out to the initiating group, and after we receive the funding cheque it will also be put up on the website.
Michael suggested that an email needs to be sent out listing all the things we want people to help with, for example, giving space to temporary greenhouses for the seedling project. Michael is going to draw up a list.
It was felt that the Hand Book Club needs to be promoted more on the website.
6 Food Growing Project
George suggested that we hold an open meeting focussed on all the recent food developments some time in the next two months before the planting season.
The St. James’ Park wartime garden was discussed as a possible model for a future Queen’s Park growing project. Gladstone Park is also setting up an allotment project. We agreed that the commitment and time involved should not be underestimated. The St. James’ Park educational department had three paid people working all summer on the project. Regent’s Park is currently doing a similar project and David suggested we should contact them and see what we can learn from their experience.
The current land that’s been identified in Queen’s Park as a potential site was thought to have challenges in terms of poor sunlight, lack of visibility and difficulty to access.
(Careen says she is happy to lead the Queen’s Park Wartime Garden project and will liase with Elaine Henderson.)
It might be interesting to find out how Queen’s Park was used during the war. (Jane will pursue)
From this discussion it was agreed that we need to find a public growing space as soon as possible. Jane thought it might be worth looking into the currently unused land on Willesden Lane opposite The Olive Tree as a possible temporary space, or container planting on the new hard landscaping areas in Best 11. Michael mentioned how the banks of the Overground line have been gardened in the past and will look into whether this is viable for future years.
The government and schools partnership project, ‘Food for Life’ project was mentioned.
7 Seedling Project
Seedlings will be distributed in April.
Possible locations for distribution include : Best 11 Streets; other residents’ associations; schools; Kilburn Square Market; Olive Tree; Minkies; other local shops.
Re. schools, we need to contact their PSAs to organise distribution alongside their cake sales etc. Parents at Mallories, Kensal Rise, Princes Fredrica and Salusbury need to be identified to take this further. (Jane is happy to lead at Salusbury and will ask parents at Mallories and Kensal Rise whether they’d be happy to take this further.) We will need to find volunteers at Princes Fredricas
8 The Faith Walk
It was agreed that we should delay organising this event as the food projects are more pressing.
9 Film night
George said we’ve now got to the end of the films we can show for free at The Lexi . He has been in discussions with Sally and they’ve agreed that we will help promote films from their environmental list through TTKtoK and that the Lexi will give a £3.00 discount to all Transitioners starting with Food Inc.
The film scheduled for March is Dirty Oil followed by a Q & A.
We discussed how the £30.00 we pay to the Constitutional Hall is quite expensive. Careen mentioned that the North London Tavern for instance only charge £15. (George will follow up)
George has been communicating with Green Sunday and they are keen to continue developing a local map tracking changing events/projects over time.
The challenge of publicity and awareness raising was discussed and it was agreed that we need to develop projects that catch people’s eye while also raising issues.
Events such as The Big Lunch, Queen’s Park Day and Harvest Festival need to be thought about in advance. Martin is growing 5 Easy to Grow vegetables and it was suggested that this could be tied into Queen’s Park Day in September, possibly a ‘Best in Show’ competition which could be promoted when the seeds are distributed.
Michael talked about how local council meetings are held in each ward and suggested we should identify three things we can push for, for example fruit trees; growing land; draft-busting. This was seen as an outreach opportunity and Michael will talk with Careen about how we can move forward on this.
The next Brent Sustainability Forum will take place from 5-8.30pm on 25th February. We will have a stall there together with Cycletastic and the Lexi Cinema.
George mentioned that we should start talking to local businesses about how we can help support them, for example, ‘Wedge’; ‘Lets’ schemes. Michael suggested finding local shops who could supply equipment for the 300 people who will be growing vegetables as part of the Seedling Project.
Careen mentioned that take-up of the Allotment Project at QPCS is weak due to an image problem with teenagers and lack of a plausible leader among the teaching staff. Never-the-less, we are keen to find a way of engaging young people with the Transition Towns project.
Next meeting is scheduled for Tuesday 2nd March 2010
Last updated by Transition Kensal to Kilburn Feb 11, 2010.