Transition Kensal to Kilburn Initiating Group meeting minutes – 28/06/10
Present: Michael Stuart, Jane Edwards, Chris Wells, John Smith, David Young, Careen Hertzog, George Latham
Apologies: Elaine Henderson
Action points outstanding from last meeting
New action points from this meeting
1. Apple Press – we have budget to buy an apple press. We should go ahead and buy this asap to ensure that supplies don’t run out as we approach the harvest. Action Point: MS/CH to arrange purchase.
2. Lending out of our projector. We are keen to lend out our projector and screen to be used by other groups in the area, but this puts us at risk of seeing it lost or damaged. We agreed that each time the equipment is lent we should ask for £100 deposit, a signature to a letter with the borrower accepting responsibility for paying for damages, and a formal check of condition pre and post loan.
3. Big Lunches. Plympton Avenue is no longer having a big lunch, but 5-ways is now having a family fun day on the same date. Petica has been in touch with the Lexi to volunteer to be involved in the gardening workshop. I still think that it would be a good idea to alert others to what is happening at the Lexi. AP: GL to contact Rachel Newberry, CH to contact Tessana, MS to contact Alex and email food group.
4. Logo. CW has done great work with QPCS and has developed 10 alternative prototype logos. We chose our favourite 3, and will put them to a membership vote on the website over the next week. Will try to involve the Kilburn Times in publicity for the vote. The final version will then be worked into a complete state (we would like to see a less ‘computerised’ more natural version). Action Points: GL to put CW in touch with Kilburn Times. CW to arrange vote on website.
5. Following choice of final logo design, we will aim to have a postcard sized leaflet in time to use at the big lunch parties on 18th July. AP: CW arranging. I can’t remember who (if anyone) volunteered to help with the words on the flyer?!
6. We’ve been asked to help with a stall at the Queens Park Summer Fair. CW volunteered to help – GL to put CW in touch.
7. MS is going to arrange a creative writing workshop in the Kilburn Library run by a friend, Leora Ronel.
8. MS is planning to interview local shopkeepers with Leora Ronel and any interested members and post the stories on the website as a blog
9. We suggested a range of funding ideas for next year’s neighbourhood working fund, including funding for more community allotments (inc Queens Park).
Minutes from Green Drinks / Harvest Supper meeting: Tuesday 29th June.
Present: GL/JE/MS/JS + Sophie Wilson, Joyce Nettleton
Aim to combine with Salusbury Primary FOS (PSA).
Use the school hall – capacity 375?
Provisional date is Saturday 2nd Oct. c3 weeks after QP day – which will therefore be well timed to sell tickets.
Format for the day:
Early afternoon: series of workshops celebrating different aspects of Transition
Late afternoon: open space meeting
Early evening: harvest supper
Later evening: ceilidh
Workshops ideas (and those who might be able to help):
Artistic – Molly and Tom Wilkinson, John Blandy, Lynn Whiteread, Joyce Nettleton
Draught busting – David Young
Apples – juicing (BYO apples) – Michael Stuart
Clothes recycling – with fashion show later
Musical vegetable workshop – Mr Andrews
Basket weaving – Polly Pollock
Local history – Ed Fordham, Len Snow
Storytelling – Moishe house
Vegetable display – Greenspace
Pop up farmers market – Miss Marmite lover
Cycle training road safety (in playground) – Josie Warshaw
Bread making demo – Sara Rogerson
Jam/ Chutney making workshop – Marjorie Fraser.
Film showings in other rooms
Consider using Spice Caravan, hopefully using local ingredients… would need to collect in advance so have visibility over what is available?
How to source the local ingredients?
Ask for help from local business? Gails/ Mount of Olives/ Hugos?
Involve Weston House allotment.
FOS can organise a liquor licence.
Does David Young have a contact who is a caller?
Next steps –
Sophie Wilson will first speak to the school to confirm that they are happy to support and terms for using the hall.
Plan to meet again quickly – provisionally Tues 13th July at Hugos.
Last updated by Transition Kensal to Kilburn Jul 4, 2010.